21st Century Vamp on Instagram

Tuesday 25 January 2011

Best laid plans of this little mouse went straight out the window!

Last Thursday in the run up to the Tribal belly dance event I was booked to exhibit at I managed to injure my back. So crippling was the pain that at first I thought I might have to call an ambulance. Thankfully with a mercy mission from my other half, hot water bottle and painkillers I survived the 2 hour wait to see a doctor in our local surgery. Unfortunately it meant cancelling the much anticipated trip to The Beat of The Drum, organised by my former tribal instructor Sam Hough. I'm so disappointed I was forced to miss it as I was looking forward to seeing friends and watching some amazing dancers.

I've had an enforced rest yet again since then, unable to do any work which is doubly frustrating having had the flu for the previous 2 weeks.  Which of course means I can't even show you the fun I could have had with my ruffler!

Previous to the injury I was working on more Gypsy Twist Hip Accent Skirts. I have a selection of sizes in crushed black velvet and open web fabrics. I also had a play with the basic design and have a new swagged style, yet to be photographed. It's quite neo Victorian/Edwardian in style. The Gypsy Twist Hip Accent Skirt is ideal as an over skirt for Tribal Fusion dancing. They are simply constructed having no 'waistband' as they are made with stretch fabric, so no ugly bulges over tribal flares or pantaloons.  They are cut to sit on the hip and emphasise hip movements. They work equally well left long or tied up on one or both sides as a more traditional hip wrap. Of course the added benefit is they may also be worn as a shoulder wrap.


Gypsy Twist Hip Hugger Skirt
 I've also experimented with a 'hip hugger' skirt with a bustle effect on the back emphasised with lacy net spider web fabric for a touch of Victorian Gothic

 

Current projects include a halter bra and skirt combo and several feather, flower and jewelled hair ornaments.

It's great when pieces get adopted and their new owners share their enthusiasm for their new VG creation. I had a lovely email from a lady in the USA after receiving her VG hair jewel. It makes it all worthwhile when someone loves what you made for them.

OOAK Vintage Hair Jewel

No comments:

Post a Comment